[Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 14:08:32 MDT 2012

From: "Ben Metcalfe" <bwmetcalfe at gmail.com>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

> On 28 June 2012 20:15, Ben Metcalfe <bwmetcalfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "That's the point. I am
>> pushing the idea that our problem is not using folder redirection and the
>> Windows guy is pushing the idea that its samba itself."
>>
>> Spot-on.
>> Your windows guy just needs to implement a few AD registry tweaks (see
>> below etc) to get things working sweetly,

Well, that is not going to happen.

Eh -- maybe if I can persuade the boss.  But I think if this is going to get
fixed, I am going to have to fix it myself. But that is probably fair
because I think I probably messed it up.  I believe folder redirection was
working at one time under my predecessor.  I believe I messed it up when I
built a new file server. I have a vague memory of choosing to not copy some
files  in the root of the netlogon share over to the new server not knowing
what they were for. My predecessor left a lot of stuff just lying around. I
mean, who doesn't? So I thought they were extraneous and when the domain
seemed to work find for a few months, I figured it was okay to reformat the
hard drive on the old server.

We are just now making the switch from XP to Win7. I understand that XP and
Win7 profiles are not compatible. If we have to have our Windows users (and
there aren't that many) create new profiles, maybe I can make sure they get
created with full folder redirection implemented.   Even if we have to
migrate the profiles (and I have no idea oif that is even possible) maybe we
can also add the appropriate registry keys.

I already know way more than I want to about Windows systems admin. Guess
I'll have to learn about setting registry keys and default user profiles,
etc.