[Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:02:01 MDT 2012

Is there any reason to believe that a samba server would be slower when
serving up roaming profiles than a real Windows server? I know roaming
profiles are slow by nature and that there are things you can do to help
like configuring ffolder redirection. But all else being equal, how would a
samba server compare to a Windows server when it comes to speed specifically
with respect to roaming profiles?

Our Windows guy insists samba is slow but I don't believe it.  He claims
that when you load a roamng profile, Windows downloads only files that have
changed and samba downloads everything. But he doesn't know anything about
samba and I don't know where he got that from.