[Samba] Samba 4 provisioning error on Ubuntu 12.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Mon Jun 25 08:05:13 MDT 2012

On 25/06/12 13:12, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>

>> Well, after a bit of thought and downloading the kernel source from
>> Ubuntu, I am answering my own question.
>
> I came across the same issue last week. Actually the newest kernel
> (wheezy/ ubuntu 12.04), the /proc/mounts does not show options that
> are setup by default in tune2fs (see the "Default mount options" below)
>
> [root at debian ~]# tune2fs  -l /dev/xvda1
> tune2fs 1.42.2 (9-Apr-2012)
> Filesystem volume name: <none>
> Last mounted on:          /
> Filesystem UUID:          571f5042-f210-45a1-9385-e5caf2f86e8b
> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
> filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file
> huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
> Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
> Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
>
> If you want to have the acl flag displayed in /proc/mounts (and
> /etc/mtab which now finally symlinks to /proc/mounts), you have to
> remove the "Default mount options" with the command below and add the
> acl option in /etc/fstab :
>
> tune2fs -o ^acl /dev/xvda1
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis
>

>> This is from the source file for the kernel that Ubuntu 12.04 uses
>> (3.2.0-25)
>>
>> It comes from "Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt"
>>
>> nouser_xattr Disables Extended User Attributes. If you have extended
>> attribute support enabled in the kernel configuration
>> (CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR), extended attribute support
>> is enabled by default on mount. See the attr(5) manual
>> page and http://acl.bestbits.at/ for more information
>> about extended attributes.
>>
>> noacl This option disables POSIX Access Control List
>> support. If ACL support is enabled in the kernel
>> configuration (CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL), ACL is
>> enabled by default on mount. See the acl(5) manual
>> page and http://acl.bestbits.at/ for more information
>> about acl.
>>
>> If I run:
>> cat /boot/config-3.2.0-25-generic | grep CONFIG_EXT4
>> I get:
>> CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
>> CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR=y
>> CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
>> CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
>> # CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG is not set
>>
>> I would suggest that, as I thought, you do not have to add anything to
>> /etc/fstab to get acl's, in fact you have to add something to turn them
>> off.
>>
>> Rowland

I always wondered how you found out what the defaults mount options
were, could never find out via google, probably never asked just the
right question ;-)
But now I know, thanks Denis.

Anyway, this just confirms what I said, on Ubuntu 12.04 you do not have
to touch /etc/fstab to compile and install Samba4.

Rowland

believed to be clean.