[Samba] dc locator/site awareness, and samba-winbind-krb5-locator

Dan Johnson dan at djjconsulting.com
Thu Jun 21 05:42:50 MDT 2012

Hi all

A couple of questions for you on domain integration:

Firstly, can someone please explain to me where/how a samba device's site info is cached? I see from a trace that when winbind starts it goes through the usual process that a windows device does (DNS query for non site-specific SRV, LDAP query/response with site name, DNS query for site-specific SRV).

-        How is the site info cached?

-        How can the cache be refreshed?

-        Is it possible to manually set a site (like configuring the SiteName registry entry on a windows box)

Secondly, I installed the samba-winbind-krb5-locator plugin (on Fedora), how can I tell this is actually working? It no longer queries DNS for the _kerberos or _kpasswd SRV records (cf windows client) so I am assuming it is working ok. However before I did the domain join, it was still doing default Kerberos behaviour (i.e. looking for _kerberos and_kerberos-master, with no site info requested).

I couldn't see anything in the man pages for winbind. I am an AD person not a UNIX person so thanks in advance for any insights/top tips from samba gurus :)

Dan Johnson