[Samba] Two attempts required to join domain

Bill Arlofski waa-samba at revpol.com
Sun Jun 17 17:19:12 MDT 2012

On 06/17/12 18:03, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>
>> Can someone offer guidance as to why during the new machine creation process
>> (joining a domain) Samba does not look for the machine in the defined machines
>> ou but always in the People ou?
>
> In /etc/ldap.conf you probably need something like:
>
> nss_base_passwd         ou=People,dc=domain,dc=org?one
> nss_base_passwd         ou=Computers,dc=domain,dc=org?one
>
> Steve

Hi Steve... Thanks for that idea.

I had the first one of course and had assumed that in that file it was a one,
and only one setting e.g. didn't know you could stack those and all would be
used.

I tried adding the second line and now the symptom has changed. Instead of the
"The user name could not be found"  error on 1st join attempt, I am now seeing
a rather bizarre: "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

The machine account is however created in the Computers OU by the
smbldap-useradd script and on an immediate 2nd join attempt I get "Welcome the
the domain X"

I can get some debug logs from both samba and slapd if that would help.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC