[Samba] samba / openldap upgrade

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:29:35 MDT 2012

What OS are you running?

You should do the openldap upgrade separate from the samba upgrade.
Depending your OS version you may have packages to update openldap or
samba.  If you are using linux you may have minor upgrades available as
packages which may fix known bugs.   You should make a complete back up
of your ldap data first and have a plan to roll back.     If you are
compiling openldap you can compile to an alternate location from your
current LDAP.    You may need to copy the samba schema into the new
openldap file system path .     If all goes well, you should be able to
stop the old ldap server process, copy data over to the file system
path, and start it up.

I suggest you use a spare machine to test compiling openldap (if need
be) and to test importing LDAP data from a backup.

I believe Samba 3.3 supports Windows 7, but I have not tried it.  I have
used samba 3.4.x and 3.5.x.   Depending on your OS you may need to
either update packages or build from scratch.      You may find it
easier to set up a new machine with a new version of linux (assuming
linux) that already has a newer openldap and samba installed.   Samba
3.4.x will have several changes in terms of machine account creation,
idmap caching, and winbind caching.  Also, you may need to explicitly
define a "nobody" user   With samba 3.4.x   and 3.5.x  I have a small
issue with creating new machine accounts.    See earlier posts to this
list from my name.    I have Oracle Directory Server as my ldap backend,
so I think it is more of an LDAP issue then a samba issue.

For the samba upgrade you may want to  set up a test machine to become
more familiar with the new version.  You should assume that there will
be some glitches during the upgrade.   You may need several hours to
make the cutover.    Make sure you back up your configuration, spool,
cache etc directories just in case you need to roll back to the previous
version