[Samba] best way to access samba shares remotely without VPN

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 07:33:12 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Janantha Marasinghe
<jananthadm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering what is the best way to access samba shares securely over the
> net. I saw sslbridge and davenport but they don't seem to be managed
> properly. I was thinking of using webdav via https. I dont want to use VPN
> as im using openvpn and it is not support well with Mac iOS and OSX client.
> webdav is supported well.

webdav would be not using samba at all, unless you mean having a web
server smb mount a samba share and export that via webdav, but that's
indirectly samba.  You could also just use a php/python/ruby/whatever
based web file manager

if osx lets you specify a port for the connection, you could ssh
tunnel port 445 for each server behind the firewall, which is also a
sort of vpn (in the loosest definition).  other than that, accessing
samba remotely requires a vpn of some sort to not have it hammered by
malware thinking it's a windows box.