[Samba] User can only login as admin, group policy fails the logon otherwise

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sat Jun 2 14:25:04 MDT 2012

On 06/02/2012 03:50 PM, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> Can you clarify a few things:
>
> - Are the machines now members of a domain?

Yes, the NT 4 domain that is in place and managed by Samba 3.5.

> - Is the "dmc" user a domain user or a local user only?     If he is a
> domain user, how did you migrate  him from a local to a domain user account?
> Does he have the appropriate file permissions to the local profile?   When
> you move someone from a local to a domain user account you need to make sure
> the profile permissions are updated.  There is a Microsoft tool to help move
> a cache in these cases.

The user is a domain user.  When the system was implemented, all users
were required to start from scratch WRT profiles and settings; documents
and so forth were moved from the local users' drives to their UNIX homes
in a location that is pointed to by Windows' folder redirection.

> - Assuming he is a domain user, is he unable to login  on other computers by
> design?

No, he is unable to logon to other computers because of the same problem
described in my OP.  The only reason the user is allowed to logon to his
assigned workstation is because for the moment he is a member of the
workstation's administrators group.

> - Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Desktop.  All workstations on this network are attached to the domain
and are identical systems.  They are not mobile.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
President, Naunet Corporation