[Samba] Custom VFS

Andrew Scherpbier andrew at scherpbier.org
Wed Jul 25 10:44:25 MDT 2012

On 07/24/2012 04:22 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:35:28PM -0700, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Just a note of encouragement...
>> I have so far written 2 filesystems in Java that use Samba for 2
>> different companies, so you're not alone!  :-)
>>
>> The strategy I've used is to write a simple TCP protocol client (the
>> VFS module) and server (a straight forward threaded Java server).
>> Works like a charm.  As long as the client side is abstracted enough
>> so that its samba connection state is independent from the server
>> connection state, there are no issues with restarting either.  (I
>> started out using a statefull protocol, but ended up changing to a
>> completely stateless one, where the individual messages contain
>> enough information to establish context.  This way, if either end of
>> the system goes down, recovery is the simple act of building a new
>> TCP connection.)
>>
>> I also attempted to use the Apache ActiveMQ C++ library for
>> communication, but found it buggy and leaky.
>>
>> I originally looked into hosting the JVM in the VFS module, but that
>> was going to be a problem because each smbd process would have to
>> start its own JVM.  The JVM startup time (especially the server JVM)
>> is very high and the memory overhead would not make it scalable.
>>
>> TCP through the loopback interface is very fast (at least on the
>> linux system's I've developed for), so there was no need to
>> implement some sort of shared memory interface.
>>
>> The system I'm working on now manages PB class storage (currently up
>> to 10PB) with hundreds of concurrent clients and the VFS module does
>> this without issues or much overhead.  We're regularly seeing write
>> speeds in the 400-500MB/s range using 10GbE and multiple windows
>> clients.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> P.S.:  Blatant plug for my current project:
>> http://www.cuttedge.com/psca/index.html
> Wow - that's really cool stuff !
>
> I'm glad the VFS works so well for you. I wanted to give you
> a heads-up on the changes we're making to the VFS moving
> forward with 4.0.x and above - take a look at the changes
> Volker made for the pread() -> pread_send_fn()/pread_recv_fn()
> and pwrite() -> pwrite_send_fn()/pwrite_recv_fn() in order to
> make the VFS async (and allow pthreaded implementations to
> be hidden under the covers).
>
> Sample implementations are in source3/modules/vfs_default.c
> in:
>
> vfswrap_pread_send()/vfswrap_asys_ssize_t_recv()
> vfswrap_pwrite_send()/vfswrap_asys_ssize_t_recv()
>
> It makes the VFS a little more complicated, but should
> enable you to get more performance out of it.

Interesting stuff.  Right now I'm letting default_vfs do all the
low-level I/O, so any improvements in speed you guys make should
immediately be useful!
So does this mean that the VFS module will need to be changed to be
thread-safe?  That actually will be a significant issue.  I'm not too
familiar with pthreads and don't know too much about the low level
implications WRT errno, etc.   (I'm mostly a Java weenie nowadays,
sorry!  Last time I used threads in C++ was a couple years ago using
Boost under Windows)

> We're also thinking longer term about changing the
> model of keeping the current working directory as
> the root of the exported service and changing the
> internals of Samba to chdir() to the parent directory
> of any path currently being processed - this allows
> easier security checks inside smbd and reduces the
> opportunity for pathname check race conditions.
For what I'm doing now, I don't think that matters much, other than the
realpath calls, I believe.  Since I'm only dealing with files *after*
they have been closed, the only thing I'm worried about is getting the
right path to the files.
> Feedback very welcome - especially from someone
> who has implemented a couple of production Samba
> VFS modules already :-).

My main gripe with the VFS stuff is the lack of documentation.  What I'd
like to see is at least a call flow to make it easier for module writers
to figure out what calls to hook.  For example, does create_file call
open or do both need to be implemented/hooked?  I unfortunately happen
to have lots of experience with windows kernel calls because I also
wrote a filter-driver based FS for windows in a previous life, so I know
how complicated the create_file call is (Thanks, Microsoft!).  The fact
that you don't need to hook it is awesome, but that's not explained
anywhere I could find.

Or at least detailed docs on the individual hooks, what they are
supposed to do, why they are called, what their side effects are
supposed to be, etc.  (Doxygen docs in the code would be awesome!)

I spend way too much time running "grep -rn something" on the samba
source and following ctags right now  :-(

Don't get me wrong!  I love working on this stuff, but the VFS module is
a small (but important) part of the bigger system and I end up spending
a disproportionate amount of time on the module because of the lack of
documentation.

--
Andrew Scherpbier
andrew at scherpbier.org