[Samba] Samba: read-only remote LDAP + additional local users

Arokux B. arokux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:16:04 MDT 2012

Hi all,

my server has access to a read-only remote LDAP-server where
information about 99% of user accounts is residing. On my server I
want to configure Samba to use LDAP-sever for authentication.

Now and then there will be some extra users that do not have an
account on LDAP. How should I manage their authentication data and
make Samba aware of it?

>From the Samba documentation:

    Early releases of Samba-3 implemented new capability to work
concurrently with multiple account backends. This capability was
removed beginning with release of Samba 3.0.23. Commencing with Samba
3.0.23 it is possible to work with only one specified passwd backend.

So it seems Samba can support one authentication back-end only and if
I make it use remote LDAP I cannot add any extra users with their
accounts stored locally.  Is there any workaround/solution for my
scenario?

Thanks for any help,

Arokux