[Samba] Detecting read/write permissions

Bruce Ashford bruce at bus-error.com
Sat Jul 14 03:12:10 MDT 2012

Hi

I'm currently using a windows image processing application that
regularly writes the user's image adjustments out to a 'sidecar' file in
the same directory as the original image. When the original file is on a
local disk this works fine but when the original image is on Samba
share, the sidecars are not created.

The application reports the following in its log:
2012-07-14 08:35:56.448 | 5452 - 1 | Sidecar - Warn | Rights to save
file S:\testImage.nef are not sufficient, expected: Write, Delete -
actual: Read, Synchronize

Software versions are as follows:
Client machine (running image processing software): Windows 7 x64
Professional SP1
Server: SuSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2, Samba Version
3.6.3-0.24.4-2794-SUSE-CODE11-x86_64

I have checked that the share I have configured is writeable. The entry
in smb.conf for the share is:

[shared]
         comment = Shared Folder
         inherit acls = Yes
         path = /home/shared
         read only = No

My global settings are as follows:

[global]
         workgroup = 9Fairways
         printing = cups
         printcap name = cups
         printcap cache time = 750
         cups options = raw
         map to guest = Bad User
         logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
         logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
         logon drive = P:
         domain logons = No
         domain master = No
         netbios name = server
         security = user
         usershare allow guests = Yes
         usershare max shares = 20
         map archive = no
         ldap suffix =
         passdb backend = smbpasswd
         wins support = Yes

The application vendor is telling me that the problem is with Linux but
I wonder if their code my be misreading the file permissions. Is there
anyway I could prove this one way or the other?

If any further information is needed, do let me know.

Best regards

Bruce