[Samba] compiling samba 3.4.8 on CentOS_6.2

Randy Rue rrue at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 11 15:12:50 MDT 2012

Too late to save grief, I've been grieving on this for weeks now.

I'm rolling back to 3.4.8 because I heard from several sources that idmap
against AD has broken at some point since then. I'd obviously prefer to
install 3.4.8 from an RPM or (even better) a yum repository somewhere but
can't seem to find any for this distro and/or version.

I haven't heard from anywhere that the idmap --> ad problem is fixed in
3.6. Is it? If so, I'd be happy to try that instead.

I confess I'm unfamiliar with how to use RPM's to install the source and
then compile from there. Install the RPM and then from some newly created
source folder I ./configure / make / make install / etc?

>From the github link below, how do I get an actual rpm file to install?

Can anyone point me toward a howto?

Or I could get the "plain" source tarball from samba.org for some later
version (that's where I'm getting 3.4.8). But it seems likely I'll have
the same trouble with the daemon not starting.

Or can anyone answer my actual question? For example, how to get logging
working so I can get some clues on why the binary fails to start?

Hope to hear from you.

Randy