[Samba] waf workaround?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 13 03:00:11 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 20:50 -0700, Linda W wrote:
> Is it possible to build samba without waf?
>
> It has slowed down my local samba builds by a factor of 5-10x -- it
> seems to lack
> any parallelism, and on a 12 core machine, that really sucks.

Waf builds are quite parallel, just call make -j.  Using this is a
standard part of our regular builds on our 24 way autobuild server.

Waf is free software: https://code.google.com/p/waf/

> What did it solve that wasn't solvable in a standard make?

It solved and solves many problems. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Waf
has some details.  In short, we tried a perl and Makefile based system
for Samba4, and the issues that created lead us to seeking a new build
system.

See also BUILD_SYSTEMS.txt
https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=BUILD_SYSTEMS.txt;h=2aff56d81aa27c92c76bbba65632c3eef481e7b8;hb=HEAD

> Maybe waf can be configured to create a standard makefile to handle
> the more complex configuration parts, and then let make do what it does
> best?

There is much more to our build system then just Makefile-like
construction.

Andrew Bartlett