[Samba] compiling samba 3.4.8 on CentOS_6.2

Randy Rue randyrue at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 14:21:31 MDT 2012

>From the same source as the 3.6 rpms I've installed 3.4.17. It works,
almost. I can log in using an AD account, and the user has a UID matching
the AD Unix Attribute UID and a GID matching that of the Unix Attributes
Primary Group. The only weird part is that on login I get an error "id:
cannot find name for group ID xxxx," that is, the GID doesn't resolve to the
AD name of the Primary Group. If I enter "id" my uid (same as my emplid) and
my ad alias, and the numerical gid but no matching name. Then when it lists
my group memberships, it lists the primary group first (by gid only) and
then the rest of my AD groups including gid and ad name.

Progress. And this would seem to support that idmap backend = ad is broken.
Any guidance on resolving the group name?

Randy