[Samba] Samba help?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at onpointfc.com
Thu Jul 12 08:10:47 MDT 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 1:31:06 am Gémes Géza wrote:
> Hi Miklos,
>
> > Hello Geza,
> >
> > I stand chastised and apologize. I didn't mean to hijack someone's
> > thread. I also didn't plan to ask for help in Hungarian, and this is just
> > a coincidence.
> >
> > However, if you can help me I'll take whatever I can get, so thank you.
> >
> > My question/problem is that I have no windows background at all and am
> > trying to configure Samba with Active Directory. I also have no access to
> > any windows machines to test my configuration so I don't know if it
> > works. I believe I'm almost there but how do I know if it's really
> > working?
> >
> > SWAT works fine, but Winbindd won't start.
> >
> > infadmnq:/>lssrc -g samba
> > Subsystem         Group            PID          Status
> >   smbd             samba            14221530     active
> >   nmbd             samba            13893726     active
> >   winbindd         samba                         inoperative
> >
> > I ran testparm and it comes back clean.
> >
> > infadmnq:/>testparm
> > Load smb config files from /usr/lib/smb.conf
> > Processing section "[samba_infaQ]"
> > Loaded services file OK.
> > Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
> > Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
> >
> > [global]
> >          workgroup = HUMC
> >          security = DOMAIN
> >          auth methods = winbind
> >          password server = dchumc01, dchumc02
> >          client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
> >          syslog = 3
> >          log file = /var/log/samba
> >          ldap ssl = no
> >          idmap uid = 10000-20000
> >          idmap gid = 10000-20000
> >          winbind enum users = Yes
> >          winbind enum groups = Yes
> >
> > [samba_infaQ]
> >          comment = Share for DBA SAs
> >          path = /samba_infaQ
> >
> > I run:
> >
> > smbclient -L '\\fileserver1\DECN_Shared\' -U INFAservice
> >
> > and I get two pages of output starting like this:
> >
> > Sharename       Type      Comment
> >          ---------       ----      -------
> >          CHRT_Shared     Disk      CHRT Departmental Shared Files
> >          HEDU_Shared     Disk      HEDU Departmental Shared Files
> >          MREC_Shared     Disk      MREC Departmental Shared Files
> >          PHBL_Shared     Disk      PHBL Departmental Shared Files
> >          PHRM_Shared     Disk      PHRM Departmental Shared Files
> >          SLAB_Shared     Disk      SLAB Departmental Shared Files
> >          SPAS_Shared     Disk      SPAS Departmental Shared Files
> >          SPTY_Shared     Disk      SPTY Departmental Shared Files
> >          WomenChild      Disk
> >

> > Kosonok minden sekitsegett!!
> >
> > Miklos
>
> First  question:
>
> What does wbinfo -p, wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g returns?
>
> You wrote, that you have to authenticate your users against an AD. Have
> you joined it (e.g. net ads join -U
> username_of_an_AD_user_with_the_priviledge_of_joining (for example an
> administrator))?

> [...]

I'm reposting this, as I just resubscribed to the list using my new mail addy:

I've found that I need to do a few things to make Samba work with AD (and, it
does for me.  I must have 15 server (Linux and *BSD) connected to our network
via Win2008R2-based AD).

First, I believe you have to get kerberos set up properly on your Linux box.
Next, configure nsswitch.conf to use winbind.  Then, you must join the box to
the domain, just as Geza mentioned.  After that, start samba.  Finally, you can
run the commands that Geza suggested (wbinfo -p, wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g.  I'd
also suggest "getent passwd").  These steps are all very well documented, and,
are easy to find, but if you have a problem with anything, let us know.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.