[Samba] Linux SSO with samba4?

Quinn Plattel qiet72 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:22:32 MDT 2012

Hi,

I think it is great that samba4 has a single sign on solution for Windows
platforms and it seems to work well too, but I am wondering is it possible
to do the same for a Linux environment?  I have been studying how to
implement single sign on using the Ubuntu way through this document:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SingleSignOn and I am wondering if I can
do the same with samba4 where the samba4 just replaces openldap and the
kerberos server components.

On a windows client, you can login as a user though active directory even
though that user is not defined locally on the client.  Can you do the same
in a Linux environment?  I have done some testing and the results so far
looks as if it is not quite there yet.  For example, if I ssh to a machine
using kerberos credentials, I cannot ssh to it without have a local account
defined on that machine.  Does a kerberos/ldap solution solve that kind of
problem?

br,
Quinn