[Samba] compiling samba 3.4.8 on CentOS_6.2

Randy Rue randyrue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:32:09 MDT 2012

Hello All.

Been trying without avail to make idmap work with my AD so I can get "real"
UID/GID for SSH logins on a CentOS_6 box. Have heard from several sources
that idmap has seen some serious changes since 3.5 and decided to roll back
from the "stock" 3.5 that comes with CentOS_6 to 3.4.8. I'd like to see if
it has the same problems.

Installed a clean build of CentOS_6.2. Stopped the samba service, removed
the package using yum and excluded samba* from yum updates in /etc/yum.conf.

Downloaded and extracted the 3.4.8 tarball.

cd into samba-3.../source3 and ran:

the autoconfig.sh script
./configure
make
make install

copied the smb.init script from the packaging/RHEL/setup folder to
/etc/init.d and made it executable
chkconfig --add smb
chkconfig smb on

service smb start fails. Tries to start both smbd and nmbd and both fail.

First I get errors about libraries.
copied the libtalloc.so.1 file from /usr/local/samba/lib to /usr/lib64
fixed that one

Then I get errors about not finding the binaries
linked /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd and nmbd to /sbin and fixed that one
This feels like a hack. I also tried adding /usr/local/samba/sbin to the
path. Also a hack but made no difference.

Now if I try service smb start (or restart) I get failures from the init
script.

Or I can try smbd directly and I get no response (it appears to start) but
"ps" shows that it didn't start.

I've turned debug level and log level up to 3 in smb.conf (tried both
arguments) but I get nothing in /var/log/syslog and nothing in any file in
/var/log/samba when I try to start it.

Forgive the anecdotal tone of the above, I'm working mostly from memory and
have probably garbled a path or file name. Then again, I've been through
these steps six or more times now.

Am I missing something obvious?

Hope to hear from you,

Randy