[Samba] BIND9 and samba4's internal dns server

Morten Kramer node1011 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 03:10:15 MDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 10:51 AM, Quinn Plattel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question:  According to the howto at
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO , you set up BIND9 to use
> samba's internal dns server through the use of the dlz.  It is possible to
> use the internal dns server only and leave out BIND9 altogether?
>
> br,
> Quinn

Yes it's possible,

At the moment it lacks encrypted DNS updates though.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS

Also, there's a bug that will freeze the DNS server if there are too
many unanswered requests by the forwarder.

Apart from that, it runs quite stable here. I set 8.8.8.8 for the
forwarder (Google DNS).