[Samba] How do I join a samba 3 client to a samba 4 AD server?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jul 9 09:41:52 MDT 2012

On 09/07/12 14:17, Quinn Plattel wrote:
> Should be posted on the list too...
>
> br,
> Quinn
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Quinn Plattel <qiet72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Steve,
>>
>> Looks like I got it working now:
>>
>> # net ADS JOIN -U Administrator
>> Enter Administrator's password:
>> Using short domain name -- MYDOMAIN
>> Joined 'UBUNTU-TEST' to realm 'mydomain.net'
>> DNS Update for ubuntu-test.mydomain.net failed: ERROR_DNS_INVALID_MESSAGE
>> DNS update failed!
>>
>> Not sure why dns is not being updated - is it because I manually added
>> ubuntu-test to the dns server beforehand?

Hi Quinn
That's good news.

We too always get that message when joining Linux machines to the
domain. I think it can be ignored as afterwards, the machine which has
just been joined works fine, even if it get's its IP via DHCP. The
message appears whether or not the record has been added to the DNS. I
think that it has something to do with bind as the error message does
not appear when using the internal DNS server.

Cheers,
Steve