[Samba] How do I join a samba 3 client to a samba 4 AD server?

Quinn Plattel qiet72 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:27:26 MDT 2012

Hi,

I have set up a standard samba4 server via
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO and have tested that windows
machines can join the samba4 AD.
Now I am trying to join an Ubuntu machine to the same samba4 ad but it is
failing for me with the following message:

# net ADS JOIN -U Administrator
Enter Administrator's password:
Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'MYDOMAIN.NET'
over rpc: Invalid server state

The client's smb.conf has the following changed lines from the default
installed smb.conf:
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   realm = MYDOMAIN.NET
   security = ADS

The server's smb.conf has the following:
[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        realm = mydomain.net
        netbios name = ADSRV
        passdb backend = samba4

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.net/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

The server's samba4 version is Version 4.0.0beta3-GIT-UNKNOWN
The client's samba version is Version 3.6.3

--
Best regards/Med venlig hilsen,
Quinn Plattel