[Samba] Suggestions? Multiple servers/storages one domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 07:48:04 MDT 2012

File storage and user authentication are (sort of) separate issues.    I
would generally avoid true standalone servers, and still use the domain
authentication model as much as possible.

The additional servers can be member servers or backup domain
controllers.   I had trouble keeping user id mappings consistent on
member servers  (in my environment it is necessary that the id mapping
is consistent between all domain controllers and key member servers.)
I found it was easier just to make sure that my key storage servers were
also domain controllers.      This is only two machines .   Each domain
controller is also an LDAP server.  The LDAP servers are configured for
replication.  Each domain controller therefore uses its own LDAP server
for the samba back end.  (Nt. I started with samba 3.0.x -  newer
releases may have simplified idmapping for member servers.)

When you configure a samba user, you can specify the absolute path to
their profile directory and home directory.

#pdbedit -Lv thisuser
Home Directory:       \\server1\users\thisuser
HomeDir Drive:        X:
Logon Script:         logon.bat
Profile Path:

#pdbedit -Lv thatuser
Home Directory:       \\server2\users\thatuser
HomeDir Drive:        X:
Logon Script:         logon.bat
Profile Path:

I  then use the login script to map the users home directory drive
letter to the appropriate home share.

E.g

net use x: /delete /y
net use x: %homeshare%

I believe windows batch files should also have the option to do
something similar to  "if member of group then ...."   if you want to
have different drive mappings for different groups.

I don't use profiles in my network.  You need to make sure that each DC
has the same logon script files.

I also have a drive letter mapped to a top level Projects directory on
one server.  But then I use dfs links to redirect users to sub
directories located on the 2nd servers.

server1# cd /export/Projects
server1# ls -ld *
drwxrwx---+ 37 root      group1       42 May 18 09:00  Project1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          19 Feb 11  2011 Project2 ->
msdfs:server2\Projects\Project2