[Samba] Samba4: mounting cifs on Linux client no longer preserves acl's

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jul 6 04:21:38 MDT 2012

Version 4.0.0beta4-GIT-8f44389

Hi everyone
Up until recently, mounting a share on a Linux client preserved the
permissions of the files in the share, but now it doesn't.

e.g. on the server
drwxrws---+ 2 root staff 4096 Jul  6 12:04 7a

# file: year7
# owner: root
# group: staff
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:root:rwx
default:group::rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

Now we mount the share on a Linux client:
mount -t cifs //hh1/reports /mnt -ore,sec=krb5,uid=,gid=staff

Now it has changed to:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root staff     0 jun 30 19:39 year7

> # file: year7
> # owner: root
> # group: staff
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> other::r-x

The acl has been lost.
This has been OK until recently. e.g. it worked with beta2.

I can work around it by mounting the shares with nfs but then we lose
the oplocks.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers,
Steve