[Samba] Samba4: how do I install winbind on a client?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jul 5 11:13:03 MDT 2012

On 05/07/12 14:17, steve wrote:
> On 05/07/12 10:28, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 08:13 +0200, steve wrote:
>>> Hi everyone
>>> I can run winbindd on the server Ok but how do Install it on a client?
>>> Do I have to install the whole of S4 and provision the client as
>>> sever-role=member?
>>
>> I would have said that running latest 3.5 or 3.6 would be more
>> apprioriate for just a client. Certainly with RHEL or it's rebuilds you
>> can install a samba-winbind package which also installs samba-common and
>> you are good to go.
>>
>> JAB.
>>
> Hi Jonathan
> Thanks
> Yeah, I was wondering if that would work. We are on openSUSE and there
> is a 3.6 rpm which installs in seconds.
> Cheers,
> Steve

It works. s4 DC and s3fs, to 3.6 client. We can log in but that's all.

This is a comparison of what we are doing now with NFS and nss-pam-ldapd
and what the official winbind method has to offer.

1. The uidNumber and gidNumber on the client are different from that on
the server. How do I get the same mapping?

2. How do I get the shares from the s4 server over to the client? I
think s3fs does cifs somehow.

Cheers,
Steve