[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jul 4 09:11:26 MDT 2012

On 03/07/12 10:18, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 18:20 +0200, steve wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>

>> I think I must be missing something here because as far as I can see,
>> winbindd puts all users into the directory specified in template
>> homedir. [homes] then picks out the user from there.
>>

> Yes you are stop using template homedir and configure winbind correctly.

OK. template homedir is now removed. Although we are using winbind we
are not running winbindd. All our mapping is done using nss-pam-ldapd.

> # deal with NSS and the whole UID/SID id mapping stuff
> 	idmap backend = tdb
> 	idmap uid = 2000000 - 2999999
> 	idmap gid = 2000000 - 2999999
> 	idmap config MYDOMAIN : backend = nss
> 	idmap config MYDOMAIN : readonly = yes
> 	idmap config MYDOMAIN : range = 500 - 1999999
> 	idmap cache time = 604800
> 	idmap negative cache time = 20
> 	winbind cache time = 600
> 	winbind nss info = rfc2307
> 	winbind expand groups = 2
> 	winbind nested groups = yes
> 	winbind use default domain = yes
> 	winbind enum users = yes
> 	winbind enum groups = yes
> 	winbind refresh tickets = yes
> 	winbind offline logon = false

No, we have none of that. Our global is simply:
[global]
	server role = domain controller
	workgroup = MARINA
	realm = hh3.site
	netbios name = HH1
	passdb backend = samba4
	wide links = Yes
	unix extensions = No

> You need to edit /etc/nsswitch of course. This is the "samba" way of
> doing things.

We have
passwd: compat ldap
group:  compat ldap
hosts:	files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

> As to suggestions to use autofs on 2500 users, my advice is don't. Works
> well at ~50 users but gets flacky at couple hundred users with random
> things not working 100% of the time that will take you for ever to track
> down to autofs if you do.

That's interesting/worrying. Although we have 2500 users, we only have
around 150 computers in the domain, spread over 4 teaching labs. Those
are split about 50:50 Linux:windows so I'd put the maximum number of NFS
autofs mounts to be 80 at most. What do you recon?

Cheers and thanks for your comments,
Steve