[Samba] s3fs and symlinks

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jul 4 02:37:07 MDT 2012

On 04/07/12 01:42, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 15:14 +0200, steve wrote:

>>> Look for "wide links", "unix extensions" and "allow insecure
>>> wide links" in "man smb.conf".
>>>
>>> Volker
>>>
>> Hi Volker
>> Unfortunately, wide links (which I think is what I need) doesn't work:
>> samba-tool testparm
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "wide links"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "wide links"
>> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>>
>> and samba_spnupdate throws errors too.
>
> Regardless of the errors, they will still work.  We have two loadparm
> engines, and we have not yet reconciled them.  It remains a tedious job
> that hasn't yet been finished.
>
> To check if a parameter is accepted by the file server component, run
> 'testparm' rather than 'samba-tool testparm'.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew, hi everyone
I didn't know about testparm without samba-tool.

With:
wide links = Yes
in [global]
testparm is clean
BUT, the symlink gives Access is denied.

Here is the share containing the symlinks:
[students]
path = /home2/students/data
read only = No

Here is an example of the symlink in /home2/students/data pointing to
the actual data:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Jul  4 09:51 brian ->
/home2/students/year7/7a/brian

Here is an example of the actual data:
drwxr-xr-x 21 brian       Domain Users 4096 Jul  4 10:24 brian

If the share points at the actual data, we are allowed access. If the
share points to the links, we get Access is denied.

What have I done wrong?
Cheers, Steve