[Samba] Samba Share - MS Excel when saving “can't access the file, there are several possible reasons”

Gibransyah Fakhri gibransyah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:16:45 MDT 2012

Hello all samba fans.., Long live open source :)
Thanks for the @adminbot for approving me to joining this milis.

Please allow me to ask the question,
I have a weird problem in my samba share. I have one share definition
for 3 client (A,B,C) This share contain some excel file which having a
lot of formula and linked each other.
Client A access the file with libre office (ubuntu), client B access
with WinXP & MS Office 2003, The write and read process working
successfuly on Both of them.

The problem occur when client C accessing the same file with MS Excel
2003 (windows xp). This messagebox appear when he saving the file :

"Microsoft office excel cannot access the \\192.168.1.23\myshare\
There are several possible reasons:

     - The File ort path does not exist The file is being used by
another program.
     - The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a
     - Currently open workbooks."

I was trying http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291204 but it didnt work.
Below is my share definition :

[brainshare]
comment = brainshare
path = /opt/brainshare/
valid users = @brainshare
force group = brainshare
read only = No
create mask = 0775
veto files = /*.scr/*.eml/thumbs.com/

Help me please... Thanks in advance !
Server: Ubuntu 10.10, Samba version 3.5.4

--
Thinking out of the box