[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 15:44:48 MDT 2012

On 02/07/2012 21:20, steve wrote:
> On 02/07/12 18:50, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:

>> Hi Steve,
>> Have you considered using autofs to do all of the mapping work for you,
>> so that you have only one /homes/ (or whatever else you want to call it)
>> to worry about?

> Hi Lukasz
>
> Yes, that's exactly what we are doing at the moment. Our Linux clients
> get their home directory automounted via nfs. It works fine.
>
> What I want is for that same home directory to be mapped to a windows
> drive letter. My method of having one share per class works, but would
> create over 30 shares. I'm not sure that having this many shares is
> advisable. I can find few examples of smb.conf's with more than but a
> handful of shares.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi Steve,
Maybe I have misunderstood what you are trying to do but if you already
have automounter doing the right thing - maybe for the sake of argument
mapping
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student2
/home2/students/year13/year13a/student2500
/homes/student1
/homes/student2
/homes/student250

then you need only [homes] share in the smb.conf,
and then (similarly to Matthieu's suggestion) provide
\\servername\%username%
for homeDirectory attribute (and profilePath if you want roaming profiles)?

HTH