[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jul 2 10:20:18 MDT 2012

On 02/07/12 17:49, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 17:39 +0200, steve wrote:
>> Samba4 with Linux and Windows clients wanting to get the same home
>> folder data.
>>
>> Hi
>> A college has students arranged with Linux home directories according to
>> which year they belong to and which class within that year, a or b or
>> whatever, they belong to e.g.:
>> /home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
>> /home2/students/year7/year7a/student2
>> /home2/students/year13/year13a/student2500
>>
>> To get at the same data on windows, I was thinking of a share for each
>> of the classes e.g.
>> [year7a]
>> path = /home2/students/year7/year7a
>> read only = No
>> browsable = No
>> [year13a]
>> path = /home2/students/year13/year13a
>> read only = No
>> browsable = No
>>
>> and mapping a drive letter to the share e.g.
>> map Z: to \\server\year7a\%USERNAME%
>>

> Deal with it through your NSS mechanism so that the file server knows
> for \\server\%USERNAME% where the users home directory is actually
> located and then you can just use the special [homes] share.
>
> I do this with winbind and the unixHomeDirectory attribute in AD.
>
> JAB.

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for the quick response.

I think I must be missing something here because as far as I can see,
winbindd puts all users into the directory specified in template
homedir. [homes] then picks out the user from there.

At the moment we are using nss-pam-ldapd to grab the unixHomeDirectory
from AD. How do I get winbindd or nss to map unixHomeDirectory to
something I can then map to a windows drive letter?

Cheers,
Steve