[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jul 2 09:39:34 MDT 2012

Samba4 with Linux and Windows clients wanting to get the same home
folder data.

Hi
A college has students arranged with Linux home directories according to
which year they belong to and which class within that year, a or b or
whatever, they belong to e.g.:
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student2
/home2/students/year13/year13a/student2500

To get at the same data on windows, I was thinking of a share for each
of the classes e.g.
[year7a]
path = /home2/students/year7/year7a
read only = No
browsable = No
[year13a]
path = /home2/students/year13/year13a
read only = No
browsable = No

and mapping a drive letter to the share e.g.
map Z: to \\server\year7a\%USERNAME%

That would make lots of shares but would make it readable to non admins.

Is there a limit on the number of shares per installation?
Any other ideas of how to go about it? e.g. I thought about OU's but we
do not want to administer from Windows.

Cheers,
Steve