[Samba] Windows 7 v. Samba: why is default network profile in 'NETLOGON/Default User.v2' not used?

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 04:57:26 MDT 2012

On Friday, 29.06.2012 at 17:33 +0200, Harry Jede wrote:

> According to "KB-973289" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 the
> owner should be "everyone". Everyone has SID S-1-1-0
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q243330 . Do
> you have a usermapping for "everyone"?

(Thanks for your reply, Harry)

We don't, actually: I read those instructions and, since our NETLOGON
share is not generally writeable and our Samba isn't configured to use
ACLs, those permissions wouldn't apply when following the recipe as
described in the link above.  Nowhere I've read suggests that the
ownership setting is *critical*: our NETLOGON share presents as
read-only guest, in effect.

Do you think the ownership is critical and that Windows is rejecting the
use of 'Default User.v2' simply because it can't ascertain that it's
"EVERYONE"-owned, despite the fact that it could read it if it tried?!

(I admit I side-stepped this part of the process and hoped it wouldn't
matter, since reconfiguring Samba to allow this type of change would be
potentially disruptive!)

Thanks,

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford / Cancer Research UK
N 51.7516, W 1.2152