[Samba] Samba 4 will not start after new checkout [URGENT]

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 08:29:51 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 14:44 -0500, Charles Tryon wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi

> > > Sorry, I should have mentioned that you told me recently that there
> > > was a problem with it.
> > >

> > AH!  I missed that note. =8-0  I've been using it on a regular basis,
> > though not in the past few days.  I'll keep my eyes open.
>
> In general, you should not need to upgradeprovision unless we make
> (major) changes to our default provision template.
>
> We need to find the right way to describe the great things that
> upgradeprovision does, and how it relates to dbcheck (also required at
> times) and when to run both.

AH!  Good to know that, though I can't say it gives me a "warm fuzzy
feeling" on how to know *when* it's necessary...  ;-)  I can comment out
that line on my "install me" script for now.

Are there any behavioral clues as to when I might need to run the
upgradeprovision, in case I miss the email saying, "Oh, don't forget to do
the upgrade when you pull this git version"?  What typically breaks, or is
that impossible to predict?  Would you expect restarting Samba to either
fail or give some sort of notification in the log saying it has encountered
an incompatible schema or database version?

(Ah the joys of living on the git-y edge...)

Thanks!

--
    Charles Tryon