[Samba] changing hostname of the client ? (without un-joining)

Xavier COUDIN xavier.coudin at ac-nantes.fr
Mon Jan 23 09:39:00 MST 2012

Hello,

Using Ubuntu 10.4 LTS,

I am successfully joining this computer to a AD network  (server = win
2003).
(using likewise)

I would like to try this :   change the name of the (linux) client,
sothat the server takes this change in account : WITHOUT UNJOINING THE
DOMAIN.
With a XP workstation, it is easy to do it : XP just ask  you to provide
a domain-admin login+password, and then the transaction is made.

Is there any possibility to do the same using a linux client ?

I just tested to change the /etc/hostname file, then (of course) I could
not log to the domain anymore. Not surprised of this reaction, it is
quite normal.

I feel that for the moment, the only possibility to do it is : (1)
unjoin from domain   (2) change hostname   (3) join to domain
It is not practical.

All I can successfuly do at this moment is :
domainjoin-cli leave
domainjoin-cli setname  newname
domainjoin-cli join ............................

my final target :
- managing many computers
- some already joined to the domain, some not yet
- computer learns its hostname through the DNS system, and compares it
with its  hostname file
- if dns-hostname is different from  local-hostname, then update
local-hostname
- if already joined to a domain, must dialog with the server to adjust
its name in the Active-Directory

Does any tool exist in the samba project that can dialog with the server
to dynamically change the hostname on both side (client + server) ?

--
Xavier COUDIN - coordinateur informatique
LP Chassagne, 44680 Paimboeuf, tel. 02 40 27 51 72 poste 717