[Samba] winbind not working with openlikewise

Thu Jan 19 00:00:45 MST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:06:45PM +0000, Eric Smith wrote:
> Here's where it gets opaque, I don't see a clear
> documentation for the tools that are used by samba to make
> calls into open-likewise db. One document I found,
> "Likewise Samba Guild" makes the claim that winbind is
> necessary, which makes sense is that the beast that is
> going be making calls into a wins system. I assume I'm
> completely wrong, but there's no documentation pointing
> that way.
>
> So my question is this, with open likewise 5 and samba 3,
> does it use when winbind via the idmap backend = lwopen
> setting?

No clue, sorry. Upstream Samba does not have a lwopen idmap
backend, so this must be an addition by Likewise to a
modified version of Samba. Samba has the idmap_adex and
idmap_hash backends, which were contributed by Likewise
(correct me if I'm wrong here), but no lwopen backend.
Please contact Likewise for more support on this.

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de