[Samba] MSDFS on [homes] share for two samba servers

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jan 17 04:42:27 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 09:32 +0100, Daniel Müller wrote:
> What do you mean with "preferred one".
> If you live with samba you will have one PDC I think and all other servers are part of your domain.
> So the users and groups are all the same in your domain and servers.
> So if you logon to your PDC you will have your [homes] ex.:
> [homes]
> Msfds root=yes
> Msdfs proxy= \serveronwhichyourhomesharesare\homes
>
> And a netlogon script under your [netlogon]
> Will do the rest.

You are presuming the presence of a PDC and that all machines are PDC
joined.

The way I read it is that the OP wants to be able to tell all his users
to go to say \\homes.mycorp.com\homes and then depending on where their
normal work location is have them map their home drive from a server at
the local site, no PDC or AD involved.

If you have a PDC it would be simpler to just set the home directory for
each user to the correct server and forget about DFS and netlogon
scripts.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.