[Samba] Can see directories however no files

Samba samba at hoogerdijk.org
Thu Jan 12 07:25:09 MST 2012

Hello,

Is more information needed, or does nobody have a clue what the cause
could be?

Thanks.

Raymond

From:   Samba <samba at hoogerdijk.org>
To:     samba at lists.samba.org
Date:   08-01-2012 12:20
Subject:        [Samba] Can see directories however no files
Sent by:        samba-bounces at lists.samba.org

Hi,

I am setting up a new server with Centos 6.2, EXT4 file system and Samba
3.5.10-114 and have made several shares. When I connect from an XP or
Windows 7 PC I can access the shares and I can see the directories which
are in the share, but not the files. I am busy for two weeks now to figure

out why, but cannot find any leads. I checked the permissions on the share

and on the files and they look OK:

Directory "files" (this directory is shared):
drwxrwx---. 17 raymond  users     4096 Dec  5 14:21 files

Then the rights from a file which is in the share (I cannot see the file
from XP or Windows 7):
-rwxrwx---.  1 raymond users 9715984 May 19  2010 guideDUT.pdf

I also checked it with getfacl:

# file: guideDUT.pdf
# owner: raymond
# group: users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::---

The information about this share in Samba:

[files]
        force create mode = 0770
        create mode = 0770
        write list = raymond, at users
        path = /home/files
        force group = users

On my other (soon to be decommissioned) Samba server (Centos 5.7, ext3
file system and  Samba 3.5.4-0.83) the same setting works ok. What is
going wrong on the new server?

Thanks.

Raymond