[Samba] MSDFS on [homes] share for two samba servers

Michal Bruncko michal.bruncko at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:28:42 MST 2012

Hello list,

we have two samba servers on two localities with bigger distance between
them. On both localities there are organizational staff working. And I
am trying to configure homedirectories for all of staff in this way:
- all users will have same beginning part of URL path where is their
homedir located (i.e. \\files.example.com\loginname) for unification and
central acces
- but because the lower speed link between both localities there is need
to locate homedirs:
  -- for locality A - on server A on that locality
  -- for locality B - on server B on that locality

fine, thats are requirements. So I have decided to use MSDFS in
combination with [homes] in this way:
- on server A (which will acts as "files.example.com") there will be
homedirs MSDFS links for users on locality B pointed to their real
homedirs on server B (with classic symlink syntax "user_on_locality_B"
-> "msdfs:IP_of_server_B\user_on_locality_B" )
So if user Bob from locality B will access its homedir, it will be
transparently redirected from Server A to its homedir on closest server B.

this is nice theory. but in practicle, is this feasible with current
version of samba 3.x?
What is the best practicles for cases like this mine? Is there any way
for dispatching homedirs to two/more servers?

thanks

michal