[Samba] Samba with LDAP Authentication

Amit More amore at xetus.com
Tue Jan 10 13:50:30 MST 2012

Hello All,

I want to authenticate existing LDAP users to samba shares. From what i have been reading, it seems like there are two ways to achieve this

1. Configure samba to use plaintext passwords (encrypt passwords = no in smb.conf) and configure clients  to send unencrypted passwords.
2. Use smbpasswd utility to add users. Using this utility the user's samba password will be different from the LDAP password.

I don't want to use plaintext authentication so cannot use the first method described here.  I also want the samba password to be the same as the LDAP password and must be in sync.

Is there anyway to achieve this? Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Amit