[Samba] Can Samba + (OpenLDAP & Kerberos) completely replace ActiveDirectory?

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:33:16 MST 2012

The other "gotcha" is the question of, how comfortable are you (or perhaps
more important, your BOSS) with running software that is still technically
in Alpha release?  This is exactly the question I'm trying to resolve with
the head of our IT department.  This is a complicated question, since the
AD part of the code is running very well and has been for a long time, but
there are some significant parts of the file sharing functionality that are
still missing.  That's a pretty gross oversimplification of the issues, but
you get my point.

There are a good number of people who ARE running S4 in production, but you
are definitely going to be living on the ragged edge.  There have been some
discussions recently as to when the team will be putting a "1.0" stamp on
S4, but this has yet to be resolved.  Personally, I think the software is
to a point where I can make it successful in my environment, but I haven't
quite convinced my boss yet.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM, mikel king <mikel.king at olivent.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 10:47 -0500, mikel king wrote:
> >> I am sure this pops up on the list ever once in a while. I have
> >> inherited a LAN that have a large amount of Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Linux
> >> and of course because bean counters have to use financial apps that
> >> only run on Windows. My long term goal is to install some sort of
> >> central management system and really feel that AD is not in my best
> >> interest considering that 90% of the 300+ computers are not Windows
> >> based. Unfortunately the 20 or so Windows machines are running mostly
> >> Win7 and there are some 2k8r2 servers in the mix somewhere.
> >> Does anyone know of any good how-to, best practices/guidelines sites or
> documents?
> >> Thoughts? Suggestions?
> >
> > Well, for the question in subject -
> > "Can Samba + (OpenLDAP & Kerberos) completely replace ActiveDirectory?"
> >
> > Emphatically - NO.
> >
> > At least if your using Samba3.
> >
> > Use Samba4 and you get Active Directory for free.
> >

> Thanks Adam,
>
> I really appreciate the response. I am reading the docs on s4 now. Are
> there any gotchas that I should be on the look out for?
>
> Cheers,
> Mikel
>
> --

    Charles Tryon