[Samba] Take hold Computer name Property/Attribute

Jessica Guynn jessguynn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 03:18:21 MST 2012

Hi guys,

Back to my old problem.  Successfully integrated windows 2008 ADS with
Samba using winbind and PAM (thanks to Kukks and everyone in the forum and
irc).  By authenticating with ADS I am able to point ownership to a domain
user , but how do you change the computer name field so when subdirectories
and files are created, the computer field is named after the machine that
is mounting the shared directory and created the file instead of the samba
machine server host name.  Computer name property in windows is under file
properties when you right click on the file properties and under details
shows you the computer name field.  Can this be done using smb.conf
parameters or a script or in the windows side?  Below is my smb.conf

#GLOBAL PARAMETERS
[GLOBAL]

   workgroup = ARCH
   realm = ARCH.LOCAL
   netbios name = ARCHPROJ
   password server = 192.168.1.40
   preferred master = no
   server string = %h server (Samba %v, Ubuntu)
   encrypt passwords = true
   enable privileges = Yes
   dns proxy = no
   log level = 3
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m
   max log size = 50
   security = ADS
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   winbind enum users = Yes
   winbind enum groups = Yes
   #winbind nested groups = Yes
   winbind separator = +
   idmap uid = 600-20000
   idmap gid = 600-20000
   ;template primary group = "Domain Users"
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash

[WORKSPACE]
   comment = Home Direcotries
   path = /home/ARCH/administrator/Workspace
   valid users = @"ARCH+domain users"
   read only = No
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes