[Samba] samba share permission

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sun Jan 8 00:34:19 MST 2012

From: mmmm tung <mmmmtung at yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 13:03:24 -0800 (PST)

> i have a nfs share on redhat 6 linux server that a group of users
> will share. basically each user will run their own respective jobs
> and save the logs in this share.

> my issue is that  all of the users are able to delete each others
> files, which i do not want
> can somebody please help me setup right smb.conf policy so that only
> the file creator can delete the file.

You need to know that parameters of Samba including those described
in your smb.conf can manage permissions of files/directories created
(manupulated) via SMB clients.

> create mask = 700
> force group = raw
> force create mode = 700
> security mask = 000
> force security mode = 700
> force directory mode = 700
> directory mask = 700
> directory security mask = 000
> force directory security mode = 700

Samba can restrict access per share/per user using writable/write
list/..., but not per files/directories.

If your jobs are running on RHEL server, you have to set correctly
permissions in your jobs.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com>