[Samba] issues with printing

Tom Ryan tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 6 13:40:02 MST 2012

On 1/6/12 3:31 PM, "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org> wrote:

>The problem I can see from the pastebin is an authentication
>issue. The client is trying to connect via a machine account.
>
>If you don't allow the machine account access to the print
>share then it'll get access denied.
>
>The error above is the machine account not being present
>on the box, so we can't allow such a user to connect. You
>could set "map to guest = bad user", and allow guest
>access to the print shares, or use a username map to
>map the incoming machine account to another (known)
>user, but the underlying problem here isn't in the print
>subsystem.
>
>Jeremy.

Jeremy,

This is true. I would not have the issue (I suspect) if I used winbind.

I read somewhere prior to Samba 3, machine account auths were dropped (I
forget the exact wording).

In my case (I want 3.6.x for the print notice setting due to client
firewalls), I think the "fix" would be an option to ignore (or silently
map to guest account?) machine account auth requests?

I don't know the best fix.. I just fixed it by manually adding the
accounts.. Ugh.. But now at least it works.

Tom