[Samba] remote home no nfs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jan 5 03:02:57 MST 2012

On 01/05/2012 09:47 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a stupid question, but im bit lost, and cant find the solution with google.
>

> I have a samba ( debian ) 3.5.8 with ldap running fine.
>

> Now i added an extra server en want to login on this server also with ssh.
>
> this works but my users are not allowed to write in there own home folder.
>

> My setup.
>
> server 1: debian squeeze
>
> samba 3.5.8 + ldap
>
> user folders in /home/users
>

> server 2: debian squeeze
>
> no samba, i mounted the the remote  folder ( home/users ) on this server in /home/users
>
> ( only smbfs and smbclient installed )
>

> getent passwd and getent group gives my users and groups.  ( done with nsswitch and libnss-ldap and libpam-nss )
>
> I can login with ssh or telnet so this works fine.
>

> I think the mounted home folder is done wrong, but i need a hint
>
> this is what i have in /etc/fstab.
>

> //192.168.XXX.2XX/users$    /home/users cifs domain=BAZUIN,username=Administrator,password=XXXXXXX                0       0
>

> yes i know nfs is also an option, but not for me :-( .
>

> anyone suggestions, this would me my day really good.
>

> Louis

As you have it, only Administrator will be able to write to /home/users.
With cifs I don't think you can have a wildcard for username= and
password=, which is what you'd need. I struggled with this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg116463.html

The gurus here told me it was not possible. That's when I had to go with
nfs.

HTH
Steve