[Samba] Samba 3.4 authentication suddenly very slow.

Don Krause dkrause at optivus.com
Wed Jan 4 12:00:14 MST 2012

After a scheduled power outage, with all hosts cleanly shut down, I'm having a bad performance issue on my samba server.

This configuration has worked well for over a year, but after the power outage, attempting to access any share takes over a minute.

net ads testjoin is fine,
wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g returns the correct information.

The shares CAN be accessed, once accessed, read and write performance is fine.

The problem is the initial access. I can do \\filehost from the windows box, and it immediately returns a folder showing all shares. Clicking on any share however, pauses for more than a minute, before allowing access.

Prior to the power outage, typing \\filehost in the Windows "run" box would pop up an auto complete with all available shares, it does not do that now.

I'm stuck on where to look next. I have the log level set to 10 in my smb.conf file.

Clients are mixed Win7 and XP, AD is 2008R2, Samba is 3.4.0 on Ubuntu.

From smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = OPTIVUS
        realm = OPTIVUS.COM
        security = ADS
        password server = optad.optivus.com
        log level = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        unix extensions = No
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        hosts allow = 143.197.0.0/16, 172.24.0.0/16

Thanks!
--
Don Krause