[Samba] Samba Freezes accessing shares/ low performance

Wed Jan 4 01:57:12 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:26:06PM +0000, Vasco Leal wrote:
> When accessing the shares on my samba server, it sometimes freezes,
> i have the lateste version, 3.6.1, mas since version 3.4 wish was
> the first i used, i've been running into this problems. When i try
> to browse the shares, many times, like 1 in 10, it freezes and
> sometimes, when saving files, it fails at the first command and only
> at the second command to save it does so.
>
> My other problem is with samba very low performance, i have 50
> computers on the office, have 1000mbps connections, 3 1000mbps ports
> being used just for samba as a bond, and still the performance is
> very low, my server is a hp dl380 g6 with 24GB of memory, dual xeon
> at 2.4Ghz and 2 Sas controllers with 1024MB memory each, so i
> shouldn't be experiencing any delay. I'll Put a dump of both my
> smb.conf  and smbd.log.
>
> Hope to get Some Help cause this is driving me crazy!!!
>
> *smb.conf*
>
> #Date: 2011/02/19 00:34:22
>
> [global]
>
> security = user
>
> workgroup = NLAdomain
>
> netbios aliases = NLSRV
>
> server string = NLSRV
>
> name resolve order = wins host bcast
>
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
> SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

Please remove the SO_RCVBUF and SO_SNDBUF options.

> log level = 4

For maximum performance, log level = 1 is sufficient,
although 4 should not affect it badly yet.

> max log size = 50

This is very, very small.

> max xmit = 65535

Please remove this parameter.

If transfers are still slow or stall, I would investigate
the hardware you are using. It can be anything from bad
network cables to flaky disks, something which is difficult
to judge without direct machine access. Trying transfer via
ftp might give you hints.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de