[Samba] samba file hierarcy issue

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Tue Jan 3 03:04:46 MST 2012

This hierarchy works for us:

drwxr-xr-x 50 root root      4096 Aug 19 16:00 dat/
drwxrws--- 36 root personnel 4096 Dec 22 15:49 dat/personnel
drwxrwxr-x 30 root root      4096 Jul 28 19:36 publish/
drwxrwsr-x  3 root personnel 4096 Apr  4  2011 publish/personnel

where dat and publish are both shares:

[dat]
        comment = Group files
        path = /samba/dat
        create mask = 0744
        directory mask = 02770
        force directory mode = 02000

[pub]
        comment = Published files
        path = /samba/pub
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 02775
        force directory mode = 02775
        guest ok = Yes

Only logged-in members of the personnel group can read or write to files in
dat/personnel; anyone can read files in pub/personnel but only logged-in
members of the personnel group can write to it.

Moray.
"To err is human; to purr, feline."