[Samba] Anything like "nss_updatedb" for ldapsam account information backend?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Feb 28 03:55:42 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 00:31 -0800, Jack Bates wrote:
> Is there anything like "nss_updatedb" [1] for ldapsam account
> information backend?
> nss_updatedb caches unix account information, so it is available even
> when the LDAP directory isn't available
> But ldapsam stores additional account information. How can I cache this
> additional account information, so it is also available even when the
> LDAP directory isn't available?

I don't believe this is possible; and a DC always requires write access
to the backend, so it probably just isn't feasible.  You can configure a
local slapd an use OpenLDAP's very fine replication technology to just
have a DSA on every DC;  which is pretty much what multiple PDC/BDCs
would have accomplished in a pure Microsoft solution.