[Samba] Proposal to change security=share in Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 27 16:16:58 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 17:53 -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking this would make all shares have the same
> password as the guest user, or do you mean there really is no password
> at all, or alternatively that one would specify the share, provide
> it's password and be logged on as guest???
>
> It's been a while since I had a security=share setup, but I remember
> WfW clients thinking that they had per-share passwords...

In the past, Samba tried to match the 'per share' password provided by
the client against a list of users, falling back to guest if 'guest ok =
yes' was set on the share.

What will happen now is that the password will be ignored, and only the
'guest ok' will be checked, and access will be as guest.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett