[Samba] Samba4 xidNumber and idmap.ldb

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Feb 26 02:28:23 MST 2012

Hi everyone

The s4 Domain Users group has xidNumber: 100 and the Linux users group
has gidNumber=100. I've been mapping xidNumber <--> gidNumber for s4
posix groups I've added myself, but this causes a name collision for
Domain Users. This also has implications on Linux as local users have
access to the group owned stuff of Domain users.

I've changed the xidNumber in idmap.ldb to 2000 and posix-ified my
Domain Users correspondingly. Everything still works, well, it works for
one test user at least.

1. Does xidNumber: 100 have any special meaning to windows?
2. To help readability, would it be possible to add a label to common
entries in idmap to help us identify them?

Cheers,
Steve