[Samba] How to troubleshoot SMBD high CPU?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 24 09:48:56 MST 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:01:00 +0000
"Jeremy T. Cherny" <Jeremy.Cherny at tobinsolutions.com> wrote:

> We are seeing the SMBD process sitting at 99.9%
>
> Are there any step-by-step troubleshooting guides to track the source
> of the problem?
>

> -Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

My familiarity with Samba is from 12 years ago, and I know of no
specific troubleshooting guide for to-active smbd processes, but
perhaps I can give you some ideas for general troubleshooting.

Collect a symptom description. Does this always happen? Is there a set
of steps that will make it happen? How long does it take to re-happen
after restarting Samba? When was this symptom first noticed? What else
was going on around that time? Do you have multiple smbd processes, or
just one?

Look at the logs. Anything look odd or out of place? Look for
difference in log patterns between the times this symptom is occurring
and times this symptom isn't occurring.

Look for other occurrences in Google. The phrase "smbd cpu usage high"
produces some hits -- I didn't look at them, but doing so much cut your
troubleshooting time considerably.

If practical, you can start by disconnecting connected machines, one by
one, and see if it goes down. Perhaps one process on one computer is
doing it.

Best of luck.

SteveT