[Samba] Implementing SuisseID X.509 certificate login on Samba

Fri Feb 24 06:49:14 MST 2012

Dear Samba users

I recently successfully implemented a SuisseID smartcard based Windows login
on a original Microsoft AD domain controller server as shown in

http://www.suisseid.ch/unternehmen/technik/index.html?lang=de&download=NHzLpZeg7t,lnp6I0NTU042l2Z6ln1acy4Zn4Z2qZpnO2Yuq2Z6gpJCDdIJ8f2ym162epYbg2c_JjKbNoKSn6A

(English documentation) Because Samba supports "domain logon = yes" since
several years and my attached Windows XP client box offers using a smartcard
for authentication since I own my SuisseID smartcard, I'd like to put the
following question: Does the current stable Samba version (3.x) also support
adding UPNs (user principal names) to users in smbpasswd as well as
configuring trusted root certificates to get working certificate based
logins or do I have to wait for Samba 4 for that?

In case that certificate based logins using UPNs is possible with Samba 3.x,
a WWW link to the documentation would be helpful. In case that Samba
currently does not support X.509 login and UPNs yet, you can add this topic
to the feature request list for Samba 4.

Thanks in advance for hints and answers.

         Andreas
--
meile.biz IT solutions, Hauptstrasse 63, CH-8242 Hofen SH
PC/Netzwerk-Support, Web-Entwicklung und -Hosting